June 10, 2012

Some things I forgot....



I had the privilege of being able to keep my great nephew this week, a three year old named Jude.  I don't know who was more excited - me or him.  I picked him up around noon and off to Montgomery we went.   I don't think I have laughed or had so much fun in such a long time.    But, as much fun as I had, there are a few things I forgot about dealing with a three year old.

I forgot just how much stuff you need to take a small one for just a small period of time.   I forgot just how much they can talk.  I forgot how many times they can ask "why" or what's that" or the word "no".   I forgot how they repeat just about everything you say or shouldn't say.   I forgot just how smart they can be.  I forgot just how observant they can be.  I forgot how much joy you can feel watching them enjoying a  merry go round.   I forgot just how much energy they have ( long after yours is gone).   I forgot that sometimes, your plans are put on hold because a nap is needed.     I forgot just how tight they can hug you.   I forgot how much they effort they putting into telling you how much they love you.   I forgot how much fun and how many laughs you can get out of just a 30 minute car ride.

One thing I didn't forget is that the adults in their lives have a huge impact in their lives.  While you are always influencing them through out their lives, the early years are the most important in forming them.  I took the time to talk to him about Jesus and how when he minded his parents or grandparents, he was pleasing God.    We have the responsibility to teach out young ones, so when they get older, they won't forget.

Train up a child in he way he is should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment