March 31, 2012

The Vow








Thirty years ago, Rex and I stood before a preacher, our families, and a few friends and recited some vows. I must admit that back then, I did not even begin to understand the magnitude of the vows we recited - all I knew was that I was getting married!



To have and to hold - well, this parts sounds easy. As a newlywed, I couldn't wait to live in the same house as a couple and just sit and hold on to each other. Then the mortgage, the kids, and the frantic schedules come - and "to hold" takes on a whole new meaning. Glad that 30 years later, I am still holding.



From this day forward - And they lived happily ever after. Yeah, makes for a good fairytale. But marriage is anything but a fairytale. There are some tough days that makes you wonder "what was I thinking?" No, marriage is not always easy, but I thank God that we have both been committed to sticking it out from that day forward....



For better or for worse - Okay, I was one of those brides that thought Rex was perfect, so I was totally unprepared for the "worse." It reared it's ugly head sooner that I expected to see it. Rex has definitely seen my worse and he's still sticks around. I am grateful for that.



For richer or for poorer - We have definitely seen both of these....and looking back, the poorer times were some of the best.



In sickness or in health - Well, we have been blessed in this area. Only a few getting older issues here.



To love and to cherish 'til death do us part - by the grace of God, I hope we can continue to fulfill this part of the vow until death do us part.



What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Mark 10:9









No comments:

Post a Comment